2nd InDesign Session notes
Click on the images to read annotations
Salt + watercolour test
I made a base with the paint and water
Then I applied the salt after a minute or so
I left it to dry, and then brushed off the salt
Tried using the white paint to cover up part, to draw characters on to.
It worked only very slightly, and wasn’t very good for this typical kind of cartridge paper – it broke the surface of the paper easily if rubbed too much.
I liked the effect of using the masking tape to stop the paint from going where I didn’t want it, although it didn’t look especially organic like snow (with folds and curves), and it also had marks on the side, so bled into the painting. I did however quick like this effect, but it wasn’t what I wanted for this piece.
Further tests + equipment
Decided to try just the ‘blizzard’ on its own. But the background was very empty this way.
Tried to mask out the already-drawn girl, to prevent paint colouring her.
I applied too much pressure when cutting the masking tape however, and the cartridge paper was also cut a bit, despite trying to be careful.
Held the paper this way, to have the paint run in this direction for effect. I put salt crystals on it, hoping they would have a moving effect, like falling snow in a blizzard.
The salt didn’t really work however, and I believe this was because I used more water than paint.
I bought watercolour paper and tested the girl character on it – I decided I really liked how this character test came out, and so I would aim to recreate it!
Drawing out some of the first pages on the watercolour paper. (I made them slightly larger than 180mm so that I would have excess to make it smaller, rather than bigger which could decrease it’s quality when scanned)
I used tissue paper as tracing paper, to help with continuity and placement/scale. Especially useful for the pages I made as double page spreads, which had the same background.
I really liked how I was able to create the lighter/white curved lines inside the blizzard ‘stream’ here. It was hard to get to work due to timing, for other images.
I printed out my cover image this way to know how to make the back cover carry on from it.
I was at first going to trace the cover and carry it on, but I figured out that this may be harder, because I would have to draw it to the EXACT proportions of 180mm.
Instead, I simply tried to line up the front and back as best as I could, by placing the finished front cover to the right of the back cover’s paper. Considering this I believe it turned out well, because it does seem to have a continuity to it.
The last two pages I did. The last and the first.